Date: 5/29/18 5:26 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] East Beach Gull - Mew Gull maybe
Hi Dika,
I believe your bird is a Mew Gull. You've got a good eye (and brilliant
camera work) to pick that out.
Do you have any pictures showing the tail? The long bill could indicate
that its a male, but that and the tail pattern could feed discussion about
the other forms in the Mew Gull group.

Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 9:44 PM, Dika Golovatchoff <digolov...>
wrote:

> Yesterday early evening I walked a stretch of East Beach facing the Hilton
> Hotel and there was only one gull present (same the night before) that
> looked rather delicate and although I've never seen such a gull before I
> tentatively ID it as 1st year Mew Gull. If anyone would care to give me a
> positive ID I'd appreciate it. Photos:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/digolov/albums/72157696791880974
>
> After that I birded East Beach where there were at least 18 Ruddy Ducks
> including two males sparring, two breeding Black-crowned Night herons and
> one juvenile, three Coot chicks, a Hooded Oriole, numerous Black-necked
> Stilts acting as though they were nesting, and other expected species.
> Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/digolov/
>
> This afternoon I searched without success for the Least Bittern reported
> yesterday by Conor Scotland at Lake Los Carneros. Thanks, Dika
> Golovatchoff, Santa Barbara

Join us on Facebook!