Date: 5/29/18 2:26 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Diminishing Migration At Montrose Tuesday 5-29-18
Hello Bird People,

Still a few migrants at Montrose today but I stress the word few. I
saw only 5 Warblers (2 resident) but others had a few more. Shorebirds
were only Killdeer (2-AD & 2 young), Spotted, Sanderling (2) &
Semipalmated (1). No interesting Gulls or Terns just the regulars.
Here's my list:

Montrose Hedge Area & Beach

I've already mentioned the shorebirds but there are lots of swallows
in the beach area & Colin had a NELSON'S SPARROW in the Dunes. Not
many sparrows other than that though.

Canada Geese (~10)
Mallard (6, one female was with 12 small young along the beach)
Ring Billed Gulls & Caspian Terns were fly-bys
Flycatchers were Eastern Pewee, Yellow Bellied, Alder, Least & Eastern Kingbird.
(Other birders saw 1 Eastern Phoebe)
Blue Jay (2)
Chickadee (2)
House Wren (1)
Robins & Catbird (4)
Cedar Waxwing (~10)
The only Vireo I saw was Warbling
Warblers that I saw were Yellow, Common Yellowthroat, Redstart, Canada
& MOURNING
(But others also saw Tennessee, Chestnut Sided, Wilson's & a female
Black Throated Blue)
The only sparrow I saw was 1 Lincoln's
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Baltimore Oriole (2)
Goldfinch (4)
House Sparrows

I'm sure other birders saw more than I did but I was trying to find
the Black Throated Blue &
Nelson's Sparrow & so wasted quite a bit of time doing that.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Mourning Warbler that I saw thanks to
directions from Andrew A.
Runner-Up to a well seen, while calling. Alder Flycatcher.

But the highlight of the day for me was a Possum pointed out by
Laurel. It was a pretty big one & very white & I hadn't seen one since
2016 as they have become hard to find in my home area.

Since this is (for me) a short report I'll mention that our 1st
license plate chaser (Susan H) saw a Wyoming plate & thereby finished
all 51 U.S. plates (includes D.C.). She is the 1st one to finish while
I am still looking for Vermont.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: