Date: 5/29/18 1:03 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ravens in Astoria
*

There are currently fledgling Ravens making a steady ruckus at Oaks Bottoms Amusement Park. Started about when the White-rumped Sandpiper appeared at Gearhart. Ravens that nest at my house in Manning started to make fledging noises at the same time .
Then while enjoying the White-rumped Sandpiper with Owen Schmidt last week I heard the sounds of a Raven family near Little Beach . So I wonder if these Astoria birds are pre-adults, or an aggregation of recently
fledged families. I sort of assumed newly fledged families stayed on territory awhile. But their food needs must be quite high. lpn
> On May 29, 2018, at 12:45 PM, DON SHARON <haller1234...> wrote:
>
> While not a rarity in Astoria, there has been an unusually large gathering of ravens in Astoria the last couple of weeks . More than 20 at a time ranging (at least) along the north side of the ridge that runs through town. Soaring, spiraling, flying here and there in smaller groups and pairs. They seem to be starting the pre-dawn chorus and croaking into the night. It feels like camping in a desert canyon or the east side mountains. They seem to run larger than the locals. Coincidence or not, the local crows and jays in our neighborhood seem to have vanished (jays) or become very circumspect (crows).

Join us on Facebook!