Date: 5/29/18 9:38 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 28, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 3 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Jerry Jeffers, Susan Jeffers, Zach & Rebecca Millen, Poly
Brokaw, Jim Green, Kathleen Pileggi, Tom Brokaw.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy - M. Cloudy (100-70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,700-5,400 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 66 - 73F, Winds S @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (8) and Turkey
Vultures (40).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“More Shorebirds & Kites will be Seen – I’ll Steak My
Dinner on it!”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “discordant.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally settled upon
it meaning something is “not right.” But how close was I? “One-Look” - my
source for all my words - says it means disagreeing or incongruous. This
adjective has Latin roots. How close were you to the exact phrasing of
the definition? We love words…do you? Choose the right one, use it in the
right way and it can say so much for you. While certainly if you don’t, it
can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest your favorite. Thanks for
the word, Jerry! Oh, and the watch!! Jerry tells me that I’ve always
loved words, even some 30 years ago when we met; we had words of the day.
Jerry even remembered some of the words we used – “discordant” being one of
them. That’s why it’s here, now. Amnesia being what it is, I don’t recall
a thing about that, but I believe my old friend. I don’t get it – why do I
remember Jerry at all. I do. But any details and specific memories?
Those synapses just don’t connect. It’s VERY sad. I need all new
memories. And if new, are they really memories? I just went deep on you…
<BR><BR>
May 28 – Another threatening-looking day greeted me, but this, supposedly
an idle threat. We’ll see. Old friend, Jerry & wife, Susan (Debby) were
here early to make T-bone steaks & corn on the cob on the grill… my new gas
grill balked. Jerry had a small backup grill for the “food emergency.”
Jim also showed up with an offering of food from wife, Pam. I may not have
mentioned this previously, but such offerings are not only welcomed, but
encouraged here at beautiful Bucktoe! Jerry’s steaks were done; he said I
liked mine medium and he would know better than I - and I did. Thanks, my
friend AND for the gift of the watch! It was delicious [the food, not the
watch], and Susan, before they left, gave me a new nickname – Cornboy. I
will wear it proudly, Susan, and try to earn it every day when fresh local
corn comes in. You know, my taste for that and many foods I apparently
loved went away and I no longer liked it after my TBI. Fortunately, THAT
came back after a few years.
<BR><BR>
Down one of paths bounded Poly Brokaw [dog], with Tom nowhere to be found.
She spent the day with us. Tom did arrive towards dusk to collect his
four-legged friend. The “artistic interpretive dance” [a gavotte?] he made
attempting to “collect” his quarry was so funny to watch and I have the
video to prove it. [available for a fee to anyone wishing to view it. I
can be bought off to not make it public. Tom, extortion is such a harsh
word…let’s use “squelching fee”]
<BR><BR>
Friend Kelley, texted from Delaware where she had a flock of unidentified
shorebirds coming over.
<BR><BR>
Kathleen arrived soon enough to enjoy a piece of corn and was the first to
notice a flock of shorebirds at 7:55. They went unidentified. But still
she received partial-full credit. Other flocks followed: 1000 SANDERLING
at 8pm, 300 unidentified at 8:03, followed by 500 unidentified at 8:05pm.
WOW! Whether identifiable or not, these flocks are amazing to watch moving
through on their journey. It almost brings a tear to your eyes [at least
mine] – these winged marvels.
<BR><BR>
Kathleen also offered this poignant question: She wondered if I had asked
Jerry if I seemed to him to be different or the same as I used to be, prior
to my TBI, coma, etc. I hadn’t asked Jerry. I must remember to do that.
<BR><BR>
Additional “better birds” among our 59 species were: Wood Duck, Great Blue
Heron, Great Egret, Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawk, Yellow-breasted Chat,
and Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: 1000-SANDERLING (@ 8pm),
1,300-Unidentified (@ 7:55, 8:03, & 8:05pm).
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Great Egret, 2-Willow Flycatcher,2-Yellow-breasted
Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Monarch - 1, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.45; Steps: 12,774; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 85
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
SANDERLING.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good
The Kites – weather improving form them throughout the day - warming, winds
becoming SW and plenty of background clouds
As for the shorebirds… good, with light winds and background clouds to see
the migrants against.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: