Date: 5/28/18 6:24 pm
From: August Mirabella <00000010a3d6847b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Roseate Spoonbill-late report Bucks Co.
All,
I learned the following details this evening. On Friday 5/25, an imm. Roseate Spoonbill was spotted by a non-birder on a neighbor's property in upper Bucks Co. The observer did not want to report the site or sighting as she was concerned about the neighbor's privacy, and knew they were not birder friendly. The bird was seen by her friend who is a birder mid-day and again during another visit at 6:30 PM that day. The original finder did not see it when returning home between 7:15-7:30 PM. It has not been seen since to my knowledge. Photos were taken and submitted. This is one of only a handful of sightings in PA going back to the 1800s.

When a bird was reported in NJ this weekend about 30 miles away, I assumed it to be the same bird. However, based on the information now known and if correct, it would mean the bird flew 30 miles in a straight line in less than 45 minutes, which seems improbable. It has remained there through today.

If the bird in NJ is not the same bird, then possibly the PA bird may still be in the region. Thus, this post is to alert regional birders to be on the lookout at likely areas and report it if found, as it would be of high interest to local birders.

Thanks,
August Mirabella
North Wales, PA

Join us on Facebook!