Date: 5/28/18 6:07 pm
From: Chuck Berman <cberman129...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Inflatables "Sports Park" proposed for Montrose Beach, comments DUE June 5th
Thank you for the info. And, for your info, this is the letter I sent to
the local and Army Corps of Engineer officials:

* Hello, *
* I am writing to urge you not to approve this latest private venture
inflatable water park proposal at the very public and ecologically
important area of and surrounding Montrose Beach. I am an avid bird watcher
at Montrose Point, which is one of the region's most important flyways for
migrating and nesting birds. My fellow birders and I oppose such
enterprises which could ecologically damage the area and the protected
dunes and the waters off the beach and fishing pier. *
* Montrose Beach already has a thriving population enjoying the natural
wonders without introducing a floating amusement park. In nearby Whiting,
IN., 20,000 people flooded their similar water park. I fear that Chicago
would exceed that number to great harm to the environment, habitat and
general beauty of the beach. *
* Perhaps a less environmentally sensitive area could be found, without
these delicate issues. *
*Thank you.*
*Chuck Berman*
*Oak Park, IL*

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Jill Niland <bwwarbler...> [ILbirds] <
<ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> The Chicago Park District has submitted an application to the Army Corps
> of Engineers (ACE) to put in a huge, inflatable water park at Montrose
> Beach (the “Sports Park” and “Sports ParkXL”). This concession would be
> located right in Lake Michigan just off the dunes. Please see the
> attached proposal with graphics and detailed information.
>
> See this link for detailed info and graphics: http://www.
> pattmcoprlaw.com/LRC-2017-224_LOP_PN_Email.pdf
> ACE is holding a public comment period that *started May 16 and ends June
> 5*.
>
> It was just two years ago almost that we were confronted with and
> successfully fought off a similar project, the "Surf Park,” another attempt
> to usurp public land and resources and install an expensive private
> concession at Montrose Beach, Chicago’s largest and busiest. The “Sports
> Park” concession will be sited right in the lake and embedded into its
> bottom with 970 pound blocks and stainless steel rebar. What happens in
> the water affects what happens on land and, in addition to the increased
> noise, trash, and pollution from the Park, the numerous artificial
> structures will negatively impact the lacustrine ecosystem (see EPA
> website - (https://archive.epa.gov/ecopage/web/html/glctext.html
> <https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Farchive.epa.gov%2Fecopage%2Fweb%2Fhtml%2Fglctext.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7C5221b3a7f15f4458b56e08d5c3e4dc97%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636630310174392891&sdata=J4xLcYidfgvPJ%2BGPOFvHFVvvODT97djnkEXtjcMTWeE%3D&reserved=0>
> ).
>
> Please take the time today to write the Army Corps and CPD officials
> (especially Board President Ruiz) and *loudly* renounce this project and
> its implications for Montrose Beach, the natural areas, and the entire
> recreational area. Address the message to:
>
> Army Corps of Engineers - Michael J. Murphy (<Michael.J.Murphy...>
> mil)
>
> CPD General Superintendent - Mike.Kelly (Mike.Kelly@
> chicagoparkdistrict.com)
>
> CPD-CEO - Pat Levar (<patrick.levar...>)
>
> President of CPD’s Board of Commissioners - Jesse Ruiz (jesse.ruiz@
> chicagoparkdistrict.com).
>
> CPD Director of Department of Natural and Cultural Resources – Cathy
> Breitenbach (<cathy.breitenbach...>).
>

> Consider focusing on the factors that the Army Corps uses when writing to
> them:
>
> “The following general criteria are considered in evaluating all
> applications:
>
> 1. The relevant extent of public and private need for the proposed work;
>
> 2. Where unresolved conflicts of resource use exist, the practicability of
> using reasonable alternative locations and methods to accomplish the
> objective of the proposed structure or work; and
>
> 3. The extent and permanence of the beneficial and/or detrimental effects
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!