Date: 5/28/18 5:44 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RFI: interpreting ABA listing rule 3.b.ii
Hi, Mike -

Given the tentative nature of the ID so far, I would also be thinking about House Crow, which also has black head and gray underpars, etc., although not quite so contrasting.  I think House Crows ride ships more often, and they occur in places that might be a direct shot across the Pacific without encountering land (where a Hooded Crow or other European bird might be expected to disembark).

Steve Howell et al. discussed both Hooded Crows and House Crows in Appendix B of "Rare Birds of North America."  They seem to draw a different line than the ABA rule:  they tend to discount species likely to be provided food on the ship.

in any case their discussion is worth reading.

Wayne Hoffman
South Beach
On 5/28/2018 2:46:25 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
That should be: very tentatively speculated HOUSE CROW

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!