Date: 5/28/18 3:46 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Amherst Olive-sided; Williamstown Sedge Wren (WMB); belated Nantucket Western Tanager (MARBA)
Hi MassBirders,

About 3 hours ago, Chuck Johnson posted a (distant) photo of a Sedge Wren to Western Mass Birders, taken in Williamstown. No more specific location has been shared; Chuck mentioned that the bird was “actively nest-building,” so the potential for disturbance would be fairly high if the bird’s location were widely publicized.

A couple of hours before that, a photo of an adult male Western Tanager from Nantucket, taken April 30, was posted to the MA RBA FaceBook group. Skyler Kardell posted it, saying that the photo was taken by Soo Woodley, and just sent to him yesterday. Skyler notes that this is the first-ever spring record for the island (eBird does show a few spring records for the Cape and Vineyard).

Several birders checked Turners Falls this morning hoping to relocate the Red-necked Phalarope that Mark Fairbrother found yesterday, but none were successful. This eBird report includes some great photos taken yesterday by Jeremy Coleman: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46070135 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46070135>

I spent most of Sunday doing things with my kids, with not enough time left over outside of those activities to drive to Turners and back. I did get one consolation prize. I took a walk in the Wentworth Farm Conservation Area yesterday evening. As my time was running out and I had to head home, I had seen a nice variety of species, but all customary breeding residents for the area. Until I was about halfway back to the car, and then an Olive-sided Flycatcher appeared atop a snag. Second-best bird of the walk was a Yellow-billed Cuckoo doing its “rain crow” thing in a bit of cool drizzle.

No real birding time today, but did look out the window at the right moment to spot not one, but two Wood Thrushes that perched on my brush pile. One of them proceeded to hop on the ground under my feeders, coming within maybe 5 or 6 feet of our house, and devour a bunch of suet and mealworm crumbs dropped by birds up on the feeders. I hear them singing and calling in our backyard fairly often, but rarely get an actual look at them even out in the woods, and have never seen one approach a house so closely...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA