Date: 5/28/18 1:46 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Goose Pond/Lake Natural Area, McHenry Co Sunday 5-27-18
Hello Bird People,

This was the 1st time I have done any birding not in Lake or Cook Co's
for he entire month of May.
We found 2 of the 3 Goose Pond specialties (Yellow Headed Blackbirds &
Common Gallinule) but not the 3rd (Black Tern). Since I'm only
reporting on one place I'll do a complete bird list as we did have
quite a few species. I was with Bob Erickson on this adventure.

Goose Pond/Lake Natural Area (7-9:15 a.m.)

P.B.Grebe (8-10)
D.C.Cormorant (1 fly-by)
Great Blue Heron (3)
Great Egret (2)
Green Heron (1)
Canada Geese (102, flew in,stayed a while & then left)
Wood Duck (6-8)
Mallard (8-10)
Black Duck? (1, had the bill of a Black Duck?)
Blue Winged Teal (2-M)
RUDDY DUCK (2-M)
Coots (7-9)
COMMON GALLINULE (2)
Wild Turkey (1, walking in a farm field)
Sandhill Crane (1 fly-by)
Killdeer (3)
RUBY THROATED HUMMER (1-M)
Willow Flycatcher (6-7)
Tree, Bank & Barn Swallows
Crow (1)
House Wren (H-3, on the walk in)
Robins (4)
Brown Thrasher (1-PR)
Red Eyed Vireo (H-2, on the walk in)
Yellow Warbler (1-2)
Common Yellowthroat (2)
Cardinal (H-1)
Indigo Bunting (2, on the walk in)
Song Sparrow (2, on the walk in)
Red Wings (~25)
YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRD (~20)
Grackle (6-8)
Goldfinch (1-PR)

Disappointed that we saw no Black Terns but they come & go. None seen
in 2 hours of looking.
Also did not any Least or American Bitterns today.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Common Gallinules & Runner-Up to all the Yellow
Headed Blackbirds.

Al Stokie
In McHenry County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>