Date: 5/28/18 12:54 pm
From: Grant Canterbury <grantandstacy17...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Marion County Western Kingbirds
I also was out and about by bicycle in Marion County today and found a pair
of Western Kingbirds along Selah Springs Road near Silverton; both
associating with a couple of large oaks along the roadside which would be a
good place to look for a nest.

Checklist at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46105570

Also, yesterday morning I was at the Nature Conservancy's Kingston Prairie
preserve, just across the county line in Linn County, and there were at
least two kingbird pairs active and vocal. Moreover, there were several
Lazuli Buntings, Bullock's Orioles, Wild Turkeys, and the place was packed
with Western Meadowlarks at every turn. The native grassland seems to
really make a difference.

Today, after the Salem Audubon field trip at Ankeny National Wildlife, a

few of us tried to locate the Western Kingbirds that Roy Gerig reported

seeing recently on Anderson Rd, north of Sublimity. We found a couple

kingbirds that may be a breeding pair. This is very exciting because I

don™t believe there is much evidence of Western Kingbirds breeding in

Marion County. I™ll continue to monitor this location for evidence of an

active nest.

See: https://ebird.org/view/checkli...
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46074937>

Tim Johnson