Date: 5/28/18 12:21 pm
From: Jon Houghton <jon.houghton...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Edmonds SAS field trip and Olive-sided Flycatcher
Hi Tweets - Yesterday, 9 of us enjoyed a most pleasant morning of birding several Edmonds locations as part of a Seattle Audubon Bird-a-thon field trip co-led with Frank Caruso. We started at the Willow Creek Hatchery with a pair of Brown Creepers actively bring food to a nest behind a bark peel on the snag with the light fixture in the parking lot by the hatchery building. We then moved up to Yost Park where we had great looks at Black-throated Gray Warblers and Hutton's Vireo, among other usual residents. A highlight was finding an adult Barred Owl, thanks to persistent harassment by crows, jays and humming birds. On to Scriber Lake, where we found beautiful singing Black-headed Grosbeaks, and a fine pair of Wood Ducks, along with several other 'usual suspects' but failed to find any Green Heron and could not coax singing Warbling Vireos into much of a view. At Southwest County Park, Frank's excellent ears quickly detected a singing OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, as soon as we got out of the cars at the main parking lot. The bird was pretty active and flying between trees overhead, but because of the height of the trees, we never got good sitting looks. This is the third straight spring in which I've had this species in this park, but my latest occurrence. A final stop at the Edmnods Mash provided super looks at a singing Marsh Wren, near the nest described by Bill Anderson yesterday. Also a treat was the continuing presence of, and good looks at Purple Martins along with several other swallow species. All in all - a most enjoyable morning and group of birders! Happy Birding - Jon Houghton, Edmonds