Date: 5/28/18 9:28 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (27 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 27, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 3 3

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 12 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (19): Tom Brokaw, Poly Brokaw, Kathleen Pileggi, Fran DeMillion,
Julie Engiles, Lana Glass, Colleen DelMonte, Carl Mease, Dennis Davis, Ian
Stewart, Walter Borys, Laureen Eick-Benson, Maria & Elias Zouras, Kay
Tracy, Patricia Jacobs, Sue McLaughlin, Ken Reynolds.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Overcast w/Rain (70-100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 2,200-1,300 ft.,
Visibility - 5-10 miles, Temps 74 - 63F, Winds ENE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (57) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ --“Bucktoe Pavarotti?”--
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “nuance.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally settled upon
it meaning subtle intricate details. But how close was I? “One-Look” - my
source for all my words - says it means a subtle difference in or shade of
meaning, expression, or sound. This noun has Latin & French roots. How
close were you to the exact phrasing of the definition? I got one word
right. We love words…do you? Choose the right one, use it in the right
way and it can say so much for you. While certainly if you don’t, it can
cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
May 27 – I WAS AT Bucktoe for the beginning of our final Sunday walk of the
season, then off to the watch. I don’t think the rain is going to hold off
today. The reason I think that is, I type this with drops hitting my
computer. Not good! My “field brew” was on my camp stove, and together
with the Blue Grosbeaks and Yellow-breasted Chat, lifted the veil of
metamorphic clouds hanging with the real ones, over my head. With the bad
weather sapping any pleasant nuances from anything we see, permit me a
couple of stories? Kay was out bearing gifts of a couple of dropped
feathers from Jake, her incredible cockatoo. I love Jake, a bird with a
fabulous personality, making personal appearances at the Wild Birds
Unlimited in Glen Mills. Jake loves my hats. He dances with them, tosses
them. I DON’T EVEN DO THAT! Property owner, Tom was out with a
potentially amazing gift, if I can have it repaired/replaced by the
company. It was his father Harold’s old Questar spotting scope. Anyone
with some advice on how to proceed, please help me. Thanks, Tom. If I can
get it fixed or replaced, it will grace my events at Bucktoe. The
important nuance of this being HOWARD’S SCOPE and his importance to the
birding world, is not lost on me, either. Thank you, Tom [and Howard]!
Tom walked out with Poly [dog]; Tom left, Poly remained. Hey Tom, you
forgot something!! [lol – I love Poly] While with me the whole day, Poly
was pulling on the tag on one of my chairs. The “UNDER PENALTY OF LAW DO
NOT REMOVE….” tag. A legal question: Should Poly succeed in pulling this
tag off, is she going to “The Big House?” Speaking of Poly, she was
running around here like a madman possessed - dashing, darting, doing her
own interpretation of terrestrial “kiting.” I don’t know what she was
seeing – I saw nothing. I wish I had. Obviously, what she was seeing was
more interesting. I did watch a pair of Blue Grosbeaks building a nest.
How cool is that? Take THAT, Poly! Pardon me while I dart and dash around
a bit! [No, I’ll resist my interpretation of the “kite dance”] Further, I
saw this: There on the snag. What, you don’t see them? Oh, come on!
Look!! OK, it’s a horrid picture on an equally horrid day taken with my
phone, I’ll admit that. I’ll try to paint a verbal picture. The visual
and especially, the audio nuances will be lost. On the bottom two
branches, left side of the trunk, there was a Mockingbird perched directly
above a Brown thrasher. The Mockingbird was singing his heart out to a
quiet, studious Thrasher – seemingly, giving singing lessons, as if saying,
“Hey, I’m the ‘king of the mimic thrushes’ - this is how you do it,
rookie!” The Catbirds were below these two, “ashamed” to join the fray. I
know, it’s me, but you should have been there – you’d have laughed, as
well.
<BR><BR>
As the day lengthened, the weather worsened, ending with a steady rain. No
Kites. No Shorebirds. The weather killed us today, but there will be more
kites; many more shorebirds. The best we could do today among the 53
species were: the Yellow-breasted Chat & Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
On the final Sunday Bucktoe walk this season, Scarlet Tanager & Blue
Grosbeak were seen [KP].
<BR><BR>
Thanks for your comments about the blog Kay and Patricia.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
3-Willow Flycatcher, 2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Monarch - 1. Dragonflies (0).
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.74; Steps: 20,511; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 84
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks OK
The Kites – Not the best of days, but been worse.
As for the shorebirds… plenty of background clouds, at least, light winds
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: