Date: 5/28/18 6:50 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Eagles, etc.
A couple days ago I checked, didn't see the eaglets sitting on the rim
of the nest the way they have been and thought they had left.  However
an adult was higher up in the tree.  After watching the nest for about
ten minutes I saw movement.  Turns out the youngsters were just
napping.  That really brought home how big that nest really is when two
good size birds can practically disappear in it.    The bright orange
spot to the right of the nest was a male Baltimore Oriole.   Amazing how
visible that almost neon color was from such a distance.

The male Pileated is still coming to the tray.  When I came home
yesterday and walked into the kitchen he was clinging to the bottom of
the screen that I had pushed up with his wings spread out.  Had to laugh
because he looked for all the world like a giant decal designed to
prevent window strikes.  No doubt he thought he could see better being
up a little higher.

Interesting how some of the birds show the strain of parenthood more
than others.  That is the case of the Downy Woodpeckers. Going in and
out of the nest hole seems to take its toll on their appearance.  They
look positively exhausted.  Catbirds on the other hand are as sleek
looking as ever.

Walking up the driveway with my dog yesterday morning saw a tiny bird
ahead of us. It was my first ever baby Chipping Sparrow. It took a
while before it finally flew onto a low hanging branch in a shrub.

One of the two Bluebird youngsters on the tray did not wait to be fed
by the adult male but ate nine mealworms. That sure is a healthy breakfast.

A female House finch with a peculiar bill has been coming to the tray.
The upper half of the bill looks blistered.  Both eyes are fine and she
has no trouble eating.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Join us on Facebook!