Date: 5/27/18 8:41 pm
From: 'M.Bernat' <mbernat...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Inflatables "Sports Park" proposed for Montrose Beach, comments DUE June 5th
Google who owns Lake Michigan's lakebed and you will not turn up the
applicant for the Letter of Permission, the Chicago Park District.
What you will find are references to how riparian property rights on the
Great Lakes stop at the water line and how the movement of sand is a
Great Lakes environmental issue. Last year, the Illinois State
Geological Survey and the Illinois DNR announced plans to study sand
deposits in Lake Michigan. In Indiana, infrastructure that was built in
Lake Michigan for the Michigan City Harbor has caused big-time beach
erosion. The US Army Corps of Engineers is still dealing with that.
I was at Montrose today and commented to my birding friend how the dune
area has grown since Montrose steward Leslie Borns showed me an Illinois
threatened plant, the sea rocket, that was growing on the beginning of a
dune—in one of the world's largest and busiest cities.
Thanks go to Leslie and the Chicago Park District for protecting the
natural areas of Montrose. But shame on the Chicago Park District for
trying to pull a fast one to exploit land under Lake Michigan that does
not belong to it. Sheesh! Give it a beach and it takes a lake.
Mary Bernat
Thorn Creek Audubon Society
So. Cook and eastern Will counties

--

On Sun, May 27, 2018, at 11:21 AM, Jill Niland <bwwarbler...> [ILbirds] wrote:>

> [...]
> Montrose Beach (the “Sports Park” and “Sports ParkXL”). This
> concession would be located right in Lake Michigan just off the dunes.
> Please see the attached proposal with graphics and detailed
> information.>
> See this link for detailed info and graphics:
> http://www.pattmcoprlaw.com/LRC-2017-224_LOP_PN_Email.pdf>
> ACE is holding a public comment period that *started May 16 and ends
> June 5*.>
> It was just two years ago almost that we were confronted with and
> successfully fought off a similar project, the "Surf Park,” another
> attempt to usurp public land and resources and install an expensive
> private concession at Montrose Beach, Chicago’s largest and busiest.
> The “Sports Park” concession will be sited right in the lake and
> embedded into its bottom with 970 pound blocks and stainless steel
> rebar. What happens in the water affects what happens on land and, in
> addition to the increased noise, trash, and pollution from the Park,
> the numerous artificial structures will negatively impact the
> lacustrine ecosystem (see EPA website -
> (https://archive.epa.gov/ecopage/web/html/glctext.html[1] ).>
> Please take the time today to write the Army Corps and CPD officials
> (especially Board President Ruiz) and *loudly* renounce this project
> and its implications for Montrose Beach, the natural areas, and the
> entire recreational area. Address the message to:>
> Army Corps of Engineers - Michael J. Murphy
> (<Michael.J.Murphy...>)>
> CPD General Superintendent - Mike.Kelly
> (<Mike.Kelly...>)> CPD-CEO - Pat Levar (<patrick.levar...>)
> President of CPD’s Board of Commissioners - Jesse Ruiz
> (<jesse.ruiz...>).>
> CPD Director of Department of Natural and Cultural Resources – Cathy
> Breitenbach (<cathy.breitenbach...>).>
>
> Consider focusing on the factors that the Army Corps uses when writing
> to them:
>
> “The following general criteria are considered in evaluating all
> applications:
>
> 1. The relevant extent of public and private need for the proposed
> work;
>
> 2. Where unresolved conflicts of resource use exist, the
> practicability of using reasonable alternative locations and
> methods to accomplish the objective of the proposed structure or
> work; and
>
> 3. The extent and permanence of the beneficial and/or detrimental
> effects the proposed structure or work is likely to have on public
> and private uses to which the area is suited. “>
> There is a similar park in Whiting, IN. Does Montrose need another
> 20,000 visitors in the summer?>
> http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/whiting-whoazone-water-park-saw-over-people-in-its-first/article_2752d4fe-9cf7-507d-90c8-0885e689ab04.html#1>
>
> Whiting WhoaZone water park saw over 20,000 people in its first
> season; city plans to expand next summer[2]>

Links:

1. https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Farchive.epa.gov%2Fecopage%2Fweb%2Fhtml%2Fglctext.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7C5221b3a7f15f4458b56e08d5c3e4dc97%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636630310174392891&sdata=J4xLcYidfgvPJ%2BGPOFvHFVvvODT97djnkEXtjcMTWeE%3D&reserved=0
2. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/whiting-whoazone-water-park-saw-over-people-in-its-first/article_2752d4fe-9cf7-507d-90c8-0885e689ab04.html#1
4. mailto:<bwwarbler...>?subject=Re%3A%20Inflatables%20%22Sport-
s%20Park%22%20proposed%20for%20Montrose%20Beach%2C%20comments%20D-
UE%20June%205th
5. mailto:<ILbirds...>?subject=Re%3A%20Inflatables%20%22S-
ports%20Park%22%20proposed%20for%20Montrose%20Beach%2C%20comments-
%20DUE%20June%205th
6. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ILbirds/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJlamRtdjltBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzk5MTU2MjMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1Nzg3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTUyNzQ1OTY4NQ--
8. https://yho.com/1wwmgg
12. https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html
13. mailto:<ILbirds-unsubscribe...>?subject=Unsubscribe
14. https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

Join us on Facebook!