Date: 5/27/18 1:47 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South, Lyons Woods & Techny North Sunday 5-27-18
Hello Bird People,

I was with Bob Erickson, Andy Stewart & Janice Sweet for the 1st few
stops & did Techny North by myself. We had a few special birds but few
Warblers. Here are some highlights:

Waukegan Beach

The only shorebirds on the beach were Sanderlings (3) & Dunlin (3).
With the Ring Billed & Herring Gulls were about 15 Caspian & 2 Common Terns.
We searched for both Bitterns but found neither.

Illinois Beach South Unit

Here we did find one LEAST BITTERN along the river & on the beach were
2 adult Killdeer with 3 small young ones. The only other shorebird was
1 Spotted Sandpiper but we only checked the beach by the mouth of the
river. Saw 3 Great Egrets flying north & land bird highlights included
a singing SUMMER TANAGER (1/2 red & 1/2 yellow), a singing GRASSHOPPER
SPARROW that I can't hear to save my life and a few Brewer's
Blackbirds.

Lyons Woods (Only Bob E was with here)

Highlights here included a flying Osprey (pretty far away), several
Eastern Towhees, a singing Veery, an OLIVE SIDED FLYCATCHER at the top
of a tree, 2 male Scarlet Tanagers & finally one YELLOW BILLED CUCKOO.
Also had 1 each Chestnut Sided & Black Throated Green Warbler.

Techny North

Wanted to check the status of the mud flats & they are somewhat back
although far from large.
Shorebirds were Killdeer (2), Spotted (8), SOLITARY (1) & Semipalmated (2).
Also here were Great Blue Heron (3), Great Egret (2) & Caspian Terns (2)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the well seen Least Bittern & Runners-Up to the
Summer Tanager & the Yellow Billed Cuckoo.

Al Stokie
Back in Lake County for most of the day

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: