Date: 5/27/18 11:52 am
From: Jory Teltser via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Barn Swallow Behavior
While looking for shorebirds at the Hunt Club in Westport, a horse started
to walk out into the field. I noticed that within seconds of this
happening, several Barns Swallows started maneuvering around the horses
legs as it walked forward. This reminded me of what Bee-eaters in Africa do
when large mammals such as Elephants move around the Savannah. When the
large animals are moving, they flush up insects from the grasses. This is
what I am assuming the Barn Swallows were talking advantage of when the
horse was moving through the grass. Smart birds!

--
Jory Teltser:
President of the CTYBC, and Member of the Land Management Committee at