Date: 5/27/18 10:18 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Jamie Simmons mystery song
Jamie et al.,

I don't know when this was originally posted, as I do not always receive all OBOL messages. I did see David Bailey's post and had him send me the sound file.

The non-stop singing along with the cadence are perhaps the best clues to identity of this bird. No other bird prattles on quite as incessantly as the Red-eyed Vireo, which I believe this is. The song cadence with lots of widely spaced two-note phrases, along with the consistent tonal quality both match Red-eyed Vireo. There are now snippets of other bird's songs in this audio, which points away from this being one of the Mimids.

I was just in the Midwest little over a week ago and heard lots of Gray Catbirds and lots of Red-eyed Vireos. This is the latter.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Join us on Facebook!