Date: 5/27/18 8:49 am
From: Jory Teltser via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Fairfield County Big Day Results
Yesterday, Preston Lust, Will Schenck (in part), and I participated in a
Big Day across Fairfield County. Though it was fairly casual (We took
frequent breaks throughout the day), we still birded for 20hrs around the
county. We ended with a total of 130 species. This was a fairly low count
in our opinion, but is probably expected due to the time of year (it's a
little late in the season to a big day) and the fact that we took a
location approach rather than a species approach when planning our route. I
would guess that 140 (maybe even 150) species are possible for a big day
for this time of year.

Highlights include a self-found KENTUCKY WARBLER at an undisclosed location
(though this is honestly not that big of a deal anymore, as it feels like
they are showing up left and right across the state this year). Other
highlights include White-rumped Sandpiper, Mourning Warbler, Black-billed
Cuckoo, Horned Grebe, Red-breasted Merganser, Long-tailed Ducks,
Gray-cheeked Thrush, and Eastern Meadowlark.

Here is the checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46038844

Three consecutive big days can really take a toll on a person!

--
Jory Teltser:
President of the CTYBC, and Member of the Land Management Committee at