Date: 5/27/18 5:16 am
From: Darren Clark <darrenclarkbird...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Jefferson County Big Day
Steve Butterworth and I have been talking about doing a Jefferson County big day for a few years. Yesterday we finally did one.

We started at Kelly Canyon ski resort at 4:20am to listen for Owls. We then hit some bird feeding stations near Heise golf course for hummingbirds and Pinyon Jays (no luck on the jays). We then went back up to Kelly canyon for the morning chorus. We hiked Cress Creek for juniper birds. We then drove to Mud Lake to scan for water birds. We then hit Camas and Market Lake for marsh birds and migrant songbirds. We also drove the desert for sage specialties.

We had some big misses, (no catharus thrushes, no Kingfisher, few warbler species, etc) but lucked into a few unexpected birds (Common Poorwill, Red-eyed Vireo, Common Loon, 6 Owl species).

A big day is full of compromises and trade-offs. An earlier date would have given us more ducks and shorebirds. A later date would have given us a few more breeding birds. We were hoping to get most breeding birds and to catch the tail end of migration, which seemed to work out. We had a great and exhausting day. We ended the day with 148 species. If everything fell into place, I think 155 is possible.

A checklist can be found here:

Sent from my iPhone

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible