Date: 5/26/18 8:04 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 26, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 3 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (8): Eric Witmer, Bruce Karl, Mike Defina, Ken Reynolds, Sue
McLaughlin, Mike & Corinne Schall.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy - Cloudy (50-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 25,000-30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10-4 miles, Temps 85 - 73F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 5-Red-tailed Hawk,
_-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (21) and Turkey Vultures (45).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ “Yani? Laurel? Hell, I hear ‘Free Beer!’”
<BR><BR>
May 26 – Old friends Eric and Bruce from further afield were here first
today. It was a beautiful sky for seeing migrants and a kite, should one
venture our way. Winds are right, too. There were thunderstorms with bold
lightning bolts hereabout, but passing just to our north. Each storm was,
however, closer than the last. It was quite a show! Mike showed up
bearing gifts of a cold “hoppy” beer – a fine Southern Tier IPA, Indian
Pale Ale. Is it too soon to mention that gifts of food and drink here at
Bucktoe are not only welcomed, but are to be encouraged? I don’t think so,
either!
<BR><BR>
All the conditions were great for shorebird movement tonight; winds from
SW, high tide at the staging areas to our south, quality birders here were
focused on our objective, background clouds were present. But there was
Mike, also… Deal with it we tried. The result? There were no shorebird
flocks. Mike trumped the quality conditions. [You’ve been ‘blogged,’
Mike!] Mike tried the Yani, Laurel test sweeping the nation, hearing
neither. Rather, he hears, “FREE BEER!”
<BR><BR>
Notable among our 53 species were Yellow-breasted Chat, Blue Grosbeak, and
Great Egret.
<BR><BR>
They are still getting record numbers of Whimbrel in Ontario, which means
that some of these birds are still flying over us in the northeastern
states. There might well be more Whimbrel, and certainly the other
shorebirds, yet to come.
<BR><BR>
Thanks to Hiroshi for her pictures of birds from her customer and to Arild
- for their comments about “the blog.”
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
1-Great Egret, 2-Willow Flycatcher, 1-Yellow-breasted Chat, 1-Blue
Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Red Admiral. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.84; Steps: 16,044; Floors:
13.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 84
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks OK and better than predicted, but there is a chance
of showers
The Kites – if the rain holds off - ok
As for the shorebirds… we are so overdue for another push
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: