Date: 5/26/18 2:58 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Yet Another Visit To Montrose Saturday 5-26-18
Hello Bird People,

Today's visit was quite a bit like yesterday's. Plenty of small sized
shorebirds & no big ones.
Still had 11 species of Warblers but all of the late variety.
Flycatchers were present in good numbers. As usual lots of special
birds were seen but not seen by me. I'll list my highlights & a few of
the birds I missed.

Montrose Beach & Dunes

Shorebirds were Semipalmated Plover (7), Killdeer (2-AD & 2-YG,
getting bigger), Spotted Sandpiper (8), Sanderling (2), Semipalmated
(10) & Least (1) Sandpipers & Dunlin (18, same as yesterday).

Swallows were Purple Martin, Tree, Rough Winged, Bank & Barn.

Among the many Ring Billed (88) Gulls were 3 Herring & 2 young
BONAPARTE'S GULLS.
There were 15 Caspian Terns & no small Terns.

(Special birds seen here but not by me were Snowy Egret, briefly,
Least Bittern & Luis M had one
Nelson's Sparrow that we could not refind)

Montrose Hedge Area

Flycatchers were OLIVE SIDED (1), Eastern Pewee (3-4), Yellow Bellied
(1), Alder (heard many & saw 1 while calling), Willow (heard 2) &
Great Crested (1).

Thrushes were Veery (1), Swainson's (2) & Robins

Warblers were Tennessee (3), Yellow (3), Magnolia (4), Blackpoll (1-M
& 4-F), Black & White (1),
Redstart (10), CONNECTICUT (1 or 2), Mourning (6), Common Yellowthroat
(4), Wilson's (4)
& Canada (5).

Vireos were only Warbling & Red Eyed

Also saw one BLACK BILLED CUCKOO & 1 Lincoln's Sparrow

(Birds seen here but not by me were Yellow Billed Cuckoo & one ebird
report had a few really good species of Warblers not seen by me)

But I can deal only with the birds I did see so Bird-Of-The-Day goes
to the Connecticut Warbler
& Runners-Up to the Black Billed Cuckoo & the Olive Sided Flycatcher.
A fairly good day in spite of all my missed birds but that happens
when there are many birders scattered around & birds are moving fast.

Al Stokie
Again in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: