Date: 5/26/18 2:38 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Crane Beach, Ipswich, May 26, 2018
Crane Beach, Ipswich

May 26, 2018 8:10 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: I walked a loop from the barns out Castle Hill and down the Cedar Point Trail to the NW end of the beach, then back along the beach to Steep Hill, where I completed the loop back to the barns, retracing my steps only at the end. The highlight was finding two orchard oriole nests!
51 species (+1 other taxon); partial list

Wild Turkey 1 He barely got out of my way.
Double-crested Cormorant 9
Great Egret 8
Snowy Egret 4
Turkey Vulture 1
Osprey 1
Spotted Sandpiper 3 A pair may have been nesting at the foot of Steep Hill by the beach, but the nest would have been impossible to find in that thick vegetation.
Willet (Eastern) 6 At least 2 pairs in the salt marsh and another on beach near the NW end.
Herring Gull 1 The only gull I saw all morning! Unbelievable!
Least Tern 4
Common Tern 11
Willow Flycatcher 2 Cedar Pt. Trail
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 3
Eastern Kingbird 2
Bank Swallow 3 I saw about 26 newly excavated burrows along the beach, but almost no bank swallows. Strange.
Barn Swallow 9
swallow sp. 15 way up high
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 7
Gray Catbird 12
Northern Mockingbird 2
European Starling 2 nesting in a hole in an ancient piling
Cedar Waxwing 4
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 11
American Redstart 2
Magnolia Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 9
Blackpoll Warbler 2
Pine Warbler 1
Field Sparrow 2 Both singing in dunes along the Cedar Pt. Trail.
Song Sparrow 14
Eastern Towhee 5
Scarlet Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 5
Bobolink 1
Orchard Oriole 4 Two pairs, both building nests (or at least the females were). One male seen, the other just heard. The nest I could actually see was at 9 feet in a n. arrowwood along the CPT. The other was in thick deciduous leaves at the parking lot where I could not see it.
Baltimore Oriole 7
Red-winged Blackbird 17
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
Common Grackle 14