Date: 5/26/18 12:50 pm
From: Mike Tanis <michael.tanis...>
Subject: Delaware State Forest and DWGNRA - Pike and Monroe Counties
Yesterday (Friday May 25) I spend another lovely morning birding in Pike and Monroe (for a very short time) counties. The weather was beautiful this time, starting out cool and sunny at 45 degrees, but warming up very quickly between 8 an 9am. I think the heat shut down bird activity early, but there was still a lot to hear and see all morning. I stuck to my usual route: Rt 402 to Snow Hill Road with a short stop to investigate Whittaker Farm Road, then north to Hobday road, returning to a few spots along Silver Lake Road, and finishing up at a couple locations along route 209 in the Delaware Water Gap.

Notable events of the day:

* Along Snow Hill Road I found Golden-winged warbler in two places. Prairie warblers are usually plentiful here, but were very quiet. I heard only one during the hour I was there. Also both cuckoos were heard over the time there.

* It’s a shorter list of warblers than usual; in addition to finding no migrants, I did not come across Blue-winged, Black-throated Blue, Magnolia, or Nashville warblers anywhere all morning.

* Whip-poor-will was observed singing and hawking insects right on the roadside of Route 402 just before dawn

* Barred owl was heard along Snow Hill Road at about 6:20, midway between Bushkill Creek and 402. Seemed to be a pair dueting. (LOL-spell check seems to want to change the word to “dieting.”)

* No Winter Wren nor Blue-headed vireo was found along Snow Hill, but I found one of each at other locations.

* I found Cerulean, Restart, Parula, Hooded, Ovenbird, and Worm-eating in a quick stop at the Freeman Tract Road in DWGNRA before heading home at about noon.

* It appears that the Dingmans Falls visitor center was destroyed again in the previous winter’s snow/ice storms. The entry road is blocked and signs say it is Closed for the Season. It’s a shame, as it was such a nice facility that the NPS had rebuilt; it was always busy with visitors whenever I stopped there. Hopefully there are funds to rebuild again, but it seems cursed with a hazardous location. The upstream George W. Childs area also is closed and was severely impacted by many fallen trees.

* Old Heller Farm had Eastern Kingbirds and Orchard Orioles

* ebird has lists for some specific sites

Delaware Water Gap NRA and State Forest Land
25 May 2018, 6am-11am
Weather: Sunny, clear and calm, 45-85 degrees

Warblers:
---------------------
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush