Date: 5/26/18 9:08 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 May 2018) 1 Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 25, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 1 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1 3 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Barry Blust, Dennis Davis, Kathleen Pileggi, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (11): Beaty Broughton, Kathleen Pileggi, Kelley Nunn, Rhoda
McNitt, Bob Reitz, Barry Blust, Carl Mease, Dennis Davis, Kathleen Rengert,
Hannah Greenberg
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 84 - 75F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Osprey, 2-Cooper's
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (50).

<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Oh, Courtney!”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “umpteenth.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally settled upon
it meaning numerous. Actually, I figured it wasn’t a real word, yet was
surprised it is, although “informal.” But how close was I? “One-Look” - my
source for all my words - says it’s a word used to emphasize that something
has happened on many other occasions; slightly derogatory. This adjective
has uncertain origins. How close were you to the exact phrasing of the
definition? Were you surprised, as I, that it is a word? We love words…do
you? Choose the right one, use it in the right way and it can say so much
for you. While certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel
free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
May 25 – Today began with Blue Grosbeak call notes, amid spectacular
conditions for Kites to show up. Southwest winds and warm; a few
background clouds, but could use more. Two Yellow-breasted Chats were
heard singing. An Osprey soaring high overhead and heading directly north,
still appeared to be a late migrant. Two seemingly unrelated events became
suddenly conjoined in what happened next. I had taken the initiative to
request information on auto insurance rates this week, and my new ‘best
friend’ Courtney, from State Farm, has been calling constantly, despite my
pleading with her that I’m busy and will get back to her. Suddenly, I saw
a bird I felt very likely was a Kite. It appeared in the Red Clay Creek
valley. I ran to the scope, as the bird disappeared below the tree line.
Would it be visible? It was then that the phone rang. I feel I need to
answer these, as someone might be lost trying to get here. I answered
quickly – you guessed it. It was my new “bestest buddy,” Courtney. My
blood pressure rose as I’m certain the kite did! I “dispatched” precious
Courtney AGAIN, and the would-be Kite was never seen AGAIN. Oh well – note
to self: Don’t answer the phone when on a potential kite!
<BR><BR>
Saving the day, Dennis saw a flock of shorebirds at 7:15, receiving
full-partial credit for his efforts. They were a flock of 300+ Dunlin
migrating over Bucktoe. Kelley returned, this time with Hannah just a bit
too late to see the large flock. Hannah enjoyed “an adult beverage,” her
“drinking problem” evident when she hadn’t the means to open it. Barry
came to the rescue with a bottle opener. Good job, Barry! Now Hannah can
demonstrate phase II of her drinking problem. [Gotcha, Hannah!] Phase III
of her drinking problem was evident later, when Hannah texted me saying she
had forgotten her camera at the site. The adventure continues…
<BR><BR>
Others among the 59 species seen/heard today were Wood Ducks, Cooper’s
Hawks, another Osprey, 2 Great Egrets, Yellow-breasted Chat, and Scarlet
Tanager.
<BR><BR>
Rhoda brought a delicious sliced up apple and Dennis had fashioned some
homemade pseudo-Reece’s peanut butter cups spurring me first to give
thanks, and then to offer this reminder: That gifts of food and drink are
not only welcome, but are to be encouraged here at Bucktoe Creek Preserve!
You know, in case you forgot!
<BR><BR>
And I forgot to mention that my friend Steve was here the other day and he
looked great. Well, good at least. Fair? Not too bad? I may be
overstating this. [Got you, my friend! Seriously, thrilled you’re doing so
well, Steve!]
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: 300+-Dunlin (@ 7:26pm).
<BR><BR>
2-Great Egret, 2-Willow Flycatcher, 1-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,
Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (1): Little Brown Bat.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.43; Steps: 17,435; Floors:
46.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 84
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Cooper's
Hawk, DUNLIN.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good with SW winds and clouds for background,
possible showers, though
The Kites – winds good
As for the shorebirds - we are due!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: