Date: 5/25/18 9:49 pm
From: Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, Alexander co. (and in Scott co. MO) 5/25/18
Hi all!

Recently a number of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks arrived on a pond off
Nash Road in Scott co Missouri. The arrival date was 5/16/18, starting out
with three birds observed and growing in numbers since. Today, according to
Andrew Reago,
"Count is up to 29 on the pond at the intersection of Nash Rd and Port
Authority Rd as of 11:30 am 5/25/18."

Photos here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46022279

Also today, at 5:18 PM Ida Domazlicky reported 11 Black-bellied Whistling
Ducks off Cape Road near the Mississippi River, just southeast of East Cape
Girardeau, in Alexander co, a location only a few miles from the Nash Road
pond. Presumably these East Cape birds are of the same population. It'll
be interesting to see what these birds do over the next week or two and
onwards- whether the population continues to grow and the birds remain at
the Nash Road pond for awhile or if they dwindle out and head back to the
South.

As I'm sure many of you haven noted, there's already been multiple
sightings of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks in Illinois this year. Here's a
shortlist of a few other sightings I've found doing a quick search. I'm
probably forgetting one at least.

5/2/18- Three seen at Spring Lake Bottoms in Tazewell co IL
5/4/18- Nine seen at South Pond, Lincoln Park, Cook co IL
5/4/18- Two seen at Omaha Reservoir, Gallatin co. IL

Add to this the sightings just outside of Illinois (even less
well-researched):

5/7/18- One seen at Rainbow Airport Prairie, Root River, Milwaukee co. WI
5/20/18- Three seen at Gibson Generating Station, Gibson co. IN

Looks like another good year for finding Black-bellied Whistling Ducks in
the Midwest!

Jared Gorrell
Sangamon co.

Join us on Facebook!