Date: 5/25/18 9:20 pm
From: <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] A New One
Not a new bird but a new event that, fortunately, turned out fine. Adding the Oriole feeder to my yard pole and having a hummer feeder off the deck rail has been quite entertaining lately, esp in the evenings. There's at least 3 different Orioles visiting their feeder & a male and female Black-chinned Hummingbird (hopefully nesting) pair hitting the hummer feeder.

I was relaxing on the deck watching the action at both feeders, when the female Black-chinned Hummingbird came in. She fed for a bit & instead of heading back to her spruce tree perch, bee-lined right by ear, headed for the house. I heard a soft "thunk" behind me followed by rapid trilling chirps. She had impaled her bill through the sliding glass door screen! The glass was slid all the way open and the little hummer must have not seen the fine weave of the screen. I turned just in time to see her bill through the mesh as her wings beat frantically against the screen. Fortunately, the hummer placed herself in reverse, backed out of the screen & then flew to about 10 yards away to inspect what she had run her bill through and didn't appear any worse for wear. That was a new one for me.

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible