Date: 5/25/18 8:15 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] May 25, 2018 Mount Auburn Cemetery Cambridge MA. Migration winding down
Thanks to Matt Sabourin for this post.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: "Matt S. " <accipiter22...>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 19:57:09 -0400

Greetings,

Headed out this morning to see if I could stir up a Mourning Warbler, a
worm-eating, or a yellow-billed cuckoo that were seen recently at Mt. A.
Struck out on all three, but still had a nice time. Migration is winding
down; it feels a few days early to me. Plus I had hoped that maybe things
would extend since the season got a late start. I suppose that is just
getting greedy though, considering how plentiful the past two weeks were.

Every year I get a bit of birding 'inertia'; I forget that this season
passes and assume that the birds will just keep coming, and then one day I
have a trip where numbers are down about 80%. That was today, so I am a
bit wistful. Still, what a fun trip; I got to see a hummingbird
collecting webs, I assume for a nest, and tons of blackpoll warblers. The
wood thrush continues to sing in the dell

I'll never forget this migration year, the Bay-Breasteds especially, my
goodness. I still somehow don't have a decent picture of one. This spring
marks 8 years of coming to Mount Auburn, I still have a few species I want
to bag here; Worm-Eating, Blue-Winged (seriously, how have I missed that
every year), YB Cuckoo, screech owl, and clay-colored sparrow among them.

Until next time,

Matt Sabourin
Accipiter22 @ Gmail.com
Brighton, MA

Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
May 25, 2018 6:58 AM - 9:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.96 mile(s)
37 species

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1 Feeding at Willow Pond
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 1
Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica) 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus) 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) 2
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 6
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 8
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 1
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 18
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 1
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 1
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 2
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 2
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) 9 All over the place
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus) 1
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens) 1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 8
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 1
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) 1 Heard only
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 4
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 2
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 12
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 2

Join us on Facebook!