Date: 5/25/18 2:53 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Again Friday 5-25-18
Hello Bird People,

Went to Montrose in the hopes the Loggerhead Shrike or the Bell's
Vireo would be refound but no such luck. Guess I'll have to wait
another 30 years for another chance for the Shrike except that I don't
have another 30 years. Warbler numbers are down but some still remain
& Flycatchers are all over the place. Eventually I saw 8 species of
shorebirds although I had to make a 2nd visit to see the last 3
species. Here's a partial list of today's birds.

Montrose Beach & Dunes

One highlight was a LEAST BITTERN that I only saw in flight as it was
very "flighty" & kept flying whenever you got near but you didn't know
where it was until it flew so you could not avoid it.
After one flushing we let it alone.

Shorebirds on the 1st run were Killdeer (2), Spotted Sandpiper (8),
Semipalmated Sandpiper (8),
Dunlin (18) & a Short Billed Dowitcher landed with the Dunlin. But I'm
told it was flushed by a dog later on but I did not witness that. Add
to that the following shorebirds seen on my 2nd visit to the flooded
area which were Sanderling (2), Least Sandpiper (1) & WHITE RUMPED
SANDPIPER (1).

Swallows were Tree, Rough Winged, Bank & Barn.

Saw my 1st "topless lady" on the beach so I guess that's FOY for that
species.

Montrose Hedge Area

Warblers Seen (13)

Tennessee (1), Yellow (3), Chestnut Sided (1-F), Magnolia (4),
Blackpoll (4), Redstart (5),
Ovenbird (3), Northern Waterthrush (1), CONNECTICUT (1-F), Mourning
(2-M), Common Yellowthroat (3), Wilson's (4) & Canada (2).

Thrushes Seen

Veery (1), Gray Cheeked (1) & Swainson's (2)

The only Sparrows I saw were Song & Lincoln's (1)

Flycatchers Were

Eastern Pewee, Yellow Bellied, Alder (heard), Willow (heard), Least &
Eastern Kingbird

Other highlights were BLACK BILLED CUCKOO & RUBY THROATED HUMMER.

The looks at the Least Bittern & the female Connecticut Warbler were
too brief to be top bird material so Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the well
seen, eventually, Black Billed Cuckoo &
Runners-Up to the 2 well seen male Mourning Warblers, the R.T. Hummer
& the Dowitcher.

Al Stokie
Once again in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>