Date: 5/24/18 9:53 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (23 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 23, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 0
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 2 2

Observation start time: 14:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (28): Kathleen Pileggi, Richard & Ellie Wolf, Dick & Pat Williams,
Steve Nuttle, Barry Blust, Nolan Morris, Anna Altieri, Deb Kirchdoerfer,
Judy Ford, Dennis Davis, Bob Reitz, Rhoda McNitt, Puff Busch, Mike
Hartshorne, Lauren Diamond, Walter & Pam Borys, Al Guarante, Holly Merker,
Ian Stewart (plus family of 6).
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy-Sunny (75-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 74 - 79F, Winds NW @ 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Osprey, 5-Red-tailed
Hawk, and numerous Black (16) and Turkey Vultures (35).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Almost Heaven? West Viginia??”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “predicament.” Play along with
me…how would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally
settled upon it meaning difficult situation. (I don’t know - like losing
your tooth before meeting a group. Something like that, maybe?) But how
close was I? “One-Look” - my source for all my words - says it means a
difficult, unpleasant or embarrassing situation. Yah, that about covers
it! This noun has European roots. How close were you to the exact
phrasing of the definition? We love words…do you? Choose the right one,
use it in the right way and it can say so much for you. While certainly if
you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
May 23 – Where do I begin? Let’s try here: On Tuesday, I had to go to the
dentist for a loose implant for a tooth lost as a result of my accident.
[Yes folks, I’m still dealing with things.] He installed a new “temporary”
one until the new one arrives next week. I love my dentist, he gets “the
blog” and reads it… but let’s test it to make sure he does, shall we? He’s
a great guy, but someone should tell him that HIS breath is kicking! Now,
I’ll find out if he reads it or not by whether he installs my tooth back in
crooked or his dentist’s tools “mysteriously slip,” gouging my gums. [I’m
just kidding dr. – your breath is fine, but give me another hit of laughing
gas, will ya?] Anyway, back to my tooth. The day following my temporary
tooth being put in – in fact, during my very first meal with it at the
remodeled café at Longwood [an entire different story about our thoughts of
it – ask me] – I was eating apiece of fried chicken [part of a meal sold
for $17!!!!, BTW] when my tooth broke! IT FREAKIN’ BROKE OFF!!!! I damn
–near ate it! Of course, this is my top very front tooth. You can’t miss
it. Yah, I had myself a predicament. An INTENSE PREDICAMENT!
<BR><BR>
Now, it’s 1:30 pm and I am meeting a large group of people for the
much-ballyhooed “Whimbrel Day” [turns out 28 people] at Bucktoe in 90
minutes. All I can see is me greeting and talking with people with no
tooth! I’d look like I was transported from West Virginia or Arkansas
[with my apologies and condolences to anyone from there].
<BR><BR>
I could try this recourse, “Hey, I got involved with a man trying to rob a
little old lady at the Wawa just before coming her.” You’re right, who
would believe me?
<BR><BR>
Kathleen, who I was eating with, was caught in a vicious cycle [as I was]
between laughing, feeling my pain, and disgust at what she was seeing when
I talked, but somehow offered this sage advice, “Call the dentist. This is
an emergency and he knows you have an event tonight.” I would have never
thought that possible at this exceptionally late hour. But call I did, and
amazingly the Dr. squeezed me in for my tooth, if not my dignity’s sake!
Arriving at my dentist’s, he said between laughs at my GQ look and
predicament, “I have NEVER seen one break like that!” Wow, a first!
<BR><BR>
So, I have THAT going for me, which is nice….
<BR><BR>
There I was at 2:15 - I was toothless, yet at 3:00 I arrived in full smile
for the event!
<BR><BR>
Sporting such a toothless look [as I almost did], just how do those people
in West Virginia breed, anyway? I know, it must be with the lights off…
<BR><BR>
I had gone to Longwood after receiving a call from Kathleen about Al
finding a Worm-eating Warbler [my FOY] at Longwood Gardens this morning.
She was standing with Al and wanted to know if I would like to come for it.
I did, and fortunately heard it sing a few times before the “Arkansas
Angels” had their way with me! I also heard Black-and-white Warbler and
very oddly, a Barred Owl calling mid-day.
<BR><BR>
This was all before arriving at Bucktoe for Whimbrel Day. Once there,
everybody showed up – 28 people in all! I sure hope they weren’t expecting
my West Virginia alter ego. You’ll never know just how close you were!
Ahh, the birds? Well, the birds were an utter disappointment this time.
It was slow today. Highlights among the 56 species seen were: Kentucky
Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, Osprey, Common Nighthawk, and Blue
grosbeak. But we did have shorebirds – That’s right, two Killdeer… whoo,
the pressure is off, right? No??
<BR><BR>
Ian was out to check on the Martin gourdes, finding 2 nests in progress.
Ian’s family came all the way from England, just to miss the shorebirds!
So…no complaining! Besides, what do you mean miss the shorebirds?? You
saw the Killdeer! Two of them!! This evening’s clear, blue sky was
against us, but 28 pairs of eyes were certainly for us. I think we’d have
seen something if they were moving in mass. It looks like perhaps Monday
was “Whimbrel Day.” They just forgot to tell us. No worries, there will
be a day[s] for Black-bellied Plovers, Red Knots, Ruddy Turnstone, and
others though, too – and I’m certain some more Whimbrel. So please give
Bucktoe a chance to produce for you. Trust me, it can be amazing. Just
talk to someone who has witnessed it here or look at our pictures! As for
today, I looked hard for a flock, but couldn’t find it.
<BR><BR>
We waited to watch the space station, scheduled to pass over us at 8:42pm.
We looked hard in the SW sky where it was to appear. I looked as hard as I
could - couldn’t find it.
<BR><BR>
With a shrug I gave up the night. What a letdown tonight was. But I know
how readily it can all change. All packed up, I turned to leave.
<BR><BR>
I couldn’t find my keys….
<BR><BR>
- - - - -
Angela spotted a Pileated Woodpecker at Unionville Park [AB].
<BR><BR>
A Worm-eating Warbler and Swainson’s Thrushes were at Longwood Gardens on
5/23 [AG,KP].
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: 2-Killdeer.
<BR><BR>
1-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 3-Willow Flycatcher, Kentucky Warbler, Yellow-breasted
Chat, 1-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,
Clouded Sulphur, Red Admiral. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles &
Amphibians (1): Spring Peeper. Mammals (1): Little Brown Bat.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.63; Steps: 15,549; Floors:
17.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 56; this season: 82
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks OK, except, no clouds.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: