Date: 5/24/18 10:06 am
From: Michael Thelen <mikethelen...>
Subject: Special Field Trip Announcement -- StL Area
The ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY is sponsoring a special field trip this
Saturday to VALLEY VIEW GLADES NATURAL AREA in Jefferson County.

Valley View Glades NA is a spectacular natural Missouri glade and one of
only a few remaining in the general metropolitan area. Right now the area
is abloom with wildflowers, butterflies are many and, of course, there are
the birds. I visited the glades Wednesday morning and had resident
warblers, an excellent candidate for CONNECTICUT WARBLER, 2 BEWICK'S WREN
singing next to the parking lot, BARRED OWLs, and more. See eBird
https://bit.ly/2kly1eE.

If you've never visited this area before, or even if you're a returning
visitor, one's first impression is, "wow." The trail is winding, moves up
and down elevation, cuts across picturesque trickle creeks at several
points, and runs in and out of the forest for a great variety of habitats.
The experience is close to hiking a Rocky Mountain trail but without the
need to travel to Colorado.

The trail is well-groomed, well-marked, and rocky at some points so wear
your sturdy hikers, grab your water bottle, and join us for a mini
adventure.

DATE: Saturday, May 26, 2018

MEETING PLACE: Valley View Glades Natural Area parking lot.

MEETING TIME: Please plan to arrive no later than 5 p.m. We'll set out
down the trail no later than 5:30 p.m. We're planning this start time to
exploit remaining daylight hours and the period around sunset.

DIRECTIONS: From the intersection of I-270 and MO hwy 30 in south St. Louis
County go west on hwy 30 19.8 miles, through Cedar Hill, MO, and over the
Big River, to the intersection of highways B and NN. Turn left on hwy B and
go south 6.7 miles to the Valley View Glades NA parking lot. The lot is
marked by a brown MDC sign but keep a sharp eye or you might zip past it.
The lot is nondescript but there is ample space for many vehicles. If you
do go past the lot just turn around and head back; there is a brown MDC sign
marking the lot when heading from the opposite direction. Driving time from
I-270 and hwy 30 to the parking lot is approximately 34 minutes.

PLAN: The trail, at full length, is 2.8 miles. We're planning this start
time to allow us plenty of daylight to enjoy the birds, flowers,
butterflies, reptiles and amphibians, and to enjoy sunset and the
opportunity for Common Nighthawk, Chuck-will's-widow, Eastern
Whip-poor-will, and owls. We'll be safely back to the parking lot before
dark. I'll have a technical light for safety.

PARTICIPATION: Everyone is welcome, SLAS members and non-members. Don't
miss this great opportunity to visit a beautiful, and increasingly rare,
Missouri treasure. The hike is well worth the drive and you can sleep in
Sunday morning!

WEATHER: As of right now the forecast for Saturday afternoon and evening is
good. It's highly unlikely I'll cancel this trip for weather and the only
condition under which I'd do so would be if lightning were in the immediate
area. I would only stop the trip under that condition while on site. Also,
as is common at this time of year, a pop-up shower could occur so it's
probably not a bad idea to bring your poncho or travel umbrella just in
case.

LEADER: Mike Thelen

COST: Free

MORE INFO: Contact me at the email address below or visit the St. Louis
Audubon Society web site at https://bit.ly/2Lql8MM.
More information about Valley View Glades NA, and a map of the area, is
available at the MDC web https://bit.ly/2x6oce4.

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO
<mikethelen...>