Date: 5/24/18 7:42 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Interesting morning
Our early morning dog walk was quite interesting if not speedy. In the
subdivision next door an Eagle flew over.  Saw a "Manx Squirrel"  going
up a tree.   Not sure if this is a birth defect or something took his
tail.  I've seen it before but it always startles me when I see it,
looking like a different animal.

Along one side of the driveway a House Wren fought off a House Sparrow
who considered going in the nest box that has Wren eggs in it already.
Nearby is an old locust snag with woodpecker holes in it and today for
the first time I've seen a female Red-bellied woodpecker enter one of
them.   Judging from the scratch marks under the hole it is definitely
an active nest.  Later on I saw her again sticking her head out.

I stopped putting suet baskets on the tree since a pair of crows have
discovered it.  Not wanting to deny my other birds I put a suet cake on
the tray by the kitchen window.  Well, a male Pileated has found it and
is quite annoyed when the food runs out.  It keeps looking in the window
and at one point even hopped on the window sill the same way the
Bluebirds do to let me know it is time for a refill.  This bird is not
at all shy.  He came back in the afternoon and was here bright and early
this morning.

Here a couple of videos I took of BIG BIRD.

https://youtu.be/jHB4jB2wVSQ  male Pileated at kitchen window
https://youtu.be/xo6siRu3ULM  male Pileated on tray eating suet

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV