Date: 5/24/18 7:35 am
From: Purbita <bitasaha...>
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Ruff at Heckscher Park - NO (Suffolk Co.)
Hi Larry,
I think your sentiment of deescalating tensions is great, but comparing feuds between birders and photographers with police brutality of black Americans is off base. I'll stop there to not distract from the point of the listserv. Anyone can email me personally to talk more.
Happy birding,Purbita Saha

<!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"Cambria Math";
panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Verdana;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Garamond;
panose-1:2 2 4 4 3 3 1 1 8 3;}
@font-face
{font-family:"Brush Script MT";
panose-1:3 6 8 2 4 4 6 7 3 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0in;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
{mso-style-name:msonormal;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0in;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0in;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle19
{mso-style-type:personal;
font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle21
{mso-style-type:personal;
font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
-->

-------- Original message --------From: Larry Trachtenberg <Trachtenberg...> Date: 5/24/18 10:13 AM (GMT-05:00) To: Karen McCaffrey <kmccaffr...>, Gus Keri <guskeri...>, Mike <mikec02...> Cc: Ken F <feustel...>, <NYSBIRDS-L...> Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Ruff at Heckscher Park - NO (Suffolk Co.)

Photographers definitely can be incredibly inconsiderate and chase away rare (or not rare) birds (and then deny it).  Indeed, I remember the Gyrfalcon (like Ruff a bird
I have never seen) spooked by a photographer at Blue Chip Farms who sacrilegiously uses the moniker “LarryBird.”  However, I am not sure calling the police is really the way to go.   So whether it’s birders v. photographers (redux), or anything of far more
import in this world, not likely to change anytime soon.  In the words of Rodney King, c. 1992  -- who suffered a far greater indignity than missing a ruff or a gyrfalcon:

“People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? … I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out . . .”  (Yeah,
sure.)

Go Celts.

L. Trachtenberg
Ossining