Date: 5/24/18 5:30 am
From: Suzanne Sullivan <swampy435...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island sand project
Hello Massbirders,

I just thought people in the Plum Island area or who love the island and
realize the importance of the off shore habitat to birds would be
interested this. The state is accepting sand dredged from 2 rivers ( one in
Maine and one in MA) off the coast of the northern tip of Plum Island to
“protect” the homes out there. The idea is to let the sand, which is surely
contaminated considering where it comes from, to settle on the beaches. The
disposal sites are clam and endangered species habitat. As we all know this
area of the mouth of the Merrimac is some of the best habitat for eiders (
the clam eaters) terns etc. This is disgraceful if you ask me and it has
flown under the radar. Not only will the sand will find its way into other
areas like the clam beds in the estuaries and in Ipswich sound etc. and
Sandy Point, where the last replenishment project ended up it will also has
the potential to contaminate clam beds and change the already changing
dynamic in this area. I wish there was someone out there that cared enough
to fight back, my plate is already too full right now so I can’t but they
still need local permits from the Conservation Commissions. So if there is
anyone out there that is a angry as I am I can do what I can to help.

http://eeaonline.eea.state.ma.us/EEA/emepa/mepacerts/2018/sc/rod/15826%20FROD%20Nearshore%20Placement%20of%20Piscataqua%20&%20Merrimack%20River%20Sediment.pdf

--
Suzanne M. Sullivan
Wilmington, MA

"The self evident vision of who we are as a free and caring nation, and the
ideal to fulfill this destiny is stronger than the division of those who's
only vision is of themselves. “ SMB

Be the Voice of the River
http://www.ipswichriver.org

Join us on Facebook!