Date: 5/24/18 5:12 am
From: Ryan Wirtes via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Protecting Barn Swallows - Urgent!
Hello everyone,

I need a little help/advice. I work for a large corporation that is
having concrete repair work done on one of its parking garages. This
garage is close to a pond and on the lower (ground) level barn swallows
nest. I have been at this company for 15 years and every year the
swallows return to nest in this parking garage. There are about 10
active nests right now. The repair work is currently being carried out
on the center section of the garage where there are no nests, but they
will soon proceed to the north and south ends where the swallows are
established. The work consists of cutting concrete which, along with
the very loud noise, produces a flood of water. I'm afraid that when
they move to the other sections of the garage that the work will destroy
the swallow nests.
I would like to know what the best way of approaching my company
regarding the protection of these nests would be. I don't want to cause
too much of a conflict or come across as some nut, but I would like to
present a clear and concise case. Any expert advice would be greatly
appreciated and the sooner the better!
Thank you,

Ryan Wirtes
Bethlehem