Date: 5/23/18 5:14 pm
From: Heidi Ware <heidithebirdnerd...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Intriguing Hummer--Costa's Likely
UPDATE: Costa's Likely
From Carl Lundblad (comment on Idaho Bird Sightings and Discussion)"From Sheri Williamson, hummingbird expert, bander, and author of A Field Guide to Hummingbirds of North America: "Costa's is what I'd call her. The pale eyebrow is a characteristic shared with Anna's but not with either of the Archilochus, and the apparently "generic" inner primary shapes further eliminate Ruby-throated". I also sent this to another hummingbird expert/bander in the Las Vegas area (where people are constantly mistaking Costa's and Anna's for Archilochus)."

Cliff, to your comments about Anna's: The thing that gets me is the birder who found it doesn't have experience w/ costas (she had originally noticed the small size and had been considering Calliope or even Rufous), but she has been able to now consistently photograph this bird among a mix of Black-chinned (she added more photos today)...that tells me it must be extremely small to stand out so much?
To view the thread (no need to log in to facebook) click here:

| | |

| |
Idaho Bird Sightings and Discussion

Welcome! **Please read this and the pinned post before posting** Click the "see more" link below: Birders at al...

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, 5:31:31 PM MDT, Cliff and Lisa Weisse <CliffandLisa...> wrote:

Interesting bird. Solidly green central rects further eliminate Calliope. Inner primaries look wide so it's not an Archilochus, which leaves Calypte. As for Anna's vs Costa's - tough call. The straight bill actually favors Anna's but the really short R5 on the photo of the bird hovering more vertically is a good mark for Costa's. Clean white undertail coverts too? Someone should try to get video, hoping to record call note. And more photos.

Thanks for getting this posted Heidi.

Cliff

On 05/23/2018 02:13 PM, Heidi Ware <heidithebirdnerd...> [ible] wrote:

  Hi all,
Jeremy Halka and I are sitting in the IBO offices obsessing about this hummer photo on Facebook. Based on description of "very tiny" and field marks including straight short bill, light supercilium, and lack of buffy color (eliminating Calliope from consideration) we are wondering if there's any chance this is a vagrant female Costa's?
NOTHING is confirmed yet, but figured I'd get the sighting out there just in case
Near Aubrey Springs Ranch, Picabo. Sighting by Jeanene Parker https://www..facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2411952555497242&set=gm.1892519680792643&type=3&theater&ifg=1

We've asked Jeanene for more photos/info
~Heidi

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho