Date: 5/23/18 3:48 pm
From: 'Tom McCabe' <tmccabe9...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Some unusual sightings
When I got to Esther Simplot Park today, I found a Western Grebe in Quinn's
Pond. While one had hung out at Quinn's for a while, and another had hung
out at Silver Lake for a while, I hadn't seen this species in weeks.

Then, at Silver Lake (Lake Harbor Pond), I found an immature male Common
Goldeneye, a species I hadn't seen along the river for over a month, at
least. I call him immature male because his head was reddish like a
female's, not dark green, but he had the telltale white circle in front of
his eye.

Still later, on my return to Esther Simplot, I discovered a m/f pair of
Canvasbacks on the main pond, a first of year bird for me. While I have seen
Canvasbacks along the river in prior years, my recollection is that it also
has been a while.

Finally, when I rode along the newly completed concrete path that forms the
Greenbelt between Quinn's Pond and the river, I discovered a Ruddy Duck
hanging out with the Western Grebe that I'd spotted earlier. He was in full
breeding attire, blue bill and all.

What's amazing to me is that for some time now I have only been seeing
Mallards and Wood Ducks along "my" section of the Greenbelt (plus C. Geese
and DC Cormorants). Lots of other species have arrived, but I thought all
the swimmers had already departed (including Coots). The last time I saw a
C. Merganser was at least a week ago, so today was quite a treat.

BTW, the river has been going up all week and today there was water on the
path between Willow Lane and Silver Lake. (Of course, last year this section
was so under water it had to be closed.)

Tom McCabe, Boise

Join us on Facebook!