Date: 5/23/18 3:02 pm
From: Sue Hannon <sbhannon...>
Subject: Dauphin Co, Harrisburg Falcon Watch and Rescue
Harrisburg's peregrine falcons are raising 4 eyases on the 15th floor ledge
of the Rachel Carson State Office Building this year. The chicks hatched
between April 19-23, and measurements taken during the banding on May 14
showed that there are 2 females and 2 males. At this time, the chicks are
beginning to show signs that they will be fledging soon. Their feathers are
rapidly filling in and their wing-flapping antics are bringing them ever
closer to the edge of the ledge. In a few days, one of them will take that
first big jump into the air and before long the other 3 will follow.

With fledging imminent, it is time for the Falcon Watch and Rescue to
begin. We are currently scheduled to begin on Sunday, May 27, and will
continue until the four young falcons have fledged and are flying
competently, probably around June 4. We are currently looking for
volunteers for the off-hours portion of the watch.

Volunteers will be asked to help monitor activity on the ledge. When one of
the juvenile falcons flies, we track its progress and mark where it lands.
If one of the fledglings comes to ground, it will be rescued. There will
always be experienced volunteers on duty should a rescue be required.

I have been volunteering with the Falcon Watch and Rescue since 2005. In
the past ten years, I've helped with 17 rescues. Two of these rescued birds
are currently nesting at sites in Wilmington, DE and Lorain, OH. I can
honestly tell you that my participation in the Falcon Watch and Rescue is
one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. In addition to the
excitement of watching the juvies as they master the use of their wings,
and their parents as they engage in dazzling flight displays, sharing the
experience with other volunteers and passersby is always interesting.

If you are interested in joining us, please email me for more information.

.
--
Sue Hannon
Grantville