Date: 5/23/18 1:20 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Lower Ohio River Valley birding highlights today
Apple Grove Fish Hatchery:

Cattle Egret--1 present all morning and still there at 10:55 when I left. I
got a few mediocre photos, but since I temporarily do not have a computer
there doesn't seem to be a way to get them transferred from my camera to my
cellphone or eBird.
Semipalmated Sandpiper--2
Least Sandpiper--2
Spotted Sandpiper--4
Killdeer--3
(Interesting that Mike Griffith and Janet Keating had a different mix in
the afternoon.)
Willow Flycatcher--1
Cliff Swallow--10
Eastern Meadowlark---3

R.C. Byrd Locks and Dam:

Double-crested Cormorant--1
Herring Gull--2
Osprey--1 or more. 1 on nest and 1 flying but not simultaneously.
Willow Flycatcher--6
Eastern Kingbird--5
American Kestrel--1
European Starling--several juveniles, the first I've seen this year.
Cedar Waxwing--2 with the male courting the female by feeding her a tasty
morsel.
Yellow-breasted Chat--1
Orchard Oriole--5

Greenbottom Wildlife Management Area--Hoeft Marsh:

Bald Eagle--1 adult
Willow Flycatcher--2

Greenbottom--Boardwalk area:

Bald Eagle--1 second-year bird
Willow Flycatcher--1. Lots of them in the area today.
Great Crested Flycatcher--1
House Wren--2. I was hoping for a Marsh Wren, but no dice.

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV

Join us on Facebook!