Date: 5/23/18 6:56 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (22 May 2018) 1 Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 22, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 0
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 1 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1 2 2

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Kelley Nunn, Sabrena Boekell, Sara Busch

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Sara Busch, Sabrena Boekell, Kathleen Pileggi, Kelley Nunn
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy w/periods of Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 3,100-1,800 ft.,
Visibility - 10-5 miles, Temps 64 - 68F, Winds SSE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (2) and Turkey Vultures (6).
<BR><BR>
----Mississippi Kite ages: Sub adult-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
-“When you receive this it will be WHIMBREL DAY!”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “encapsulate.” Play along with
me…how would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally
settled upon it meaning… well, the way I write!?!? No??? I say this word
does not exist! “One-Look” - my source for all my words - says it means to
express the essential features of something SUCCINCTLY. Yah, like I
said…like me! This verb has Latin roots. [of course the Latins are
succinct…it’s a dead language] How close were you to the exact phrasing of
the definition? We love words…do you? Choose the right one, use it in the
right way and it can say so much for you. While certainly if you don’t, it
can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
This long-winded Blogster [so called] rejects this word and “resents” its
suggestion - SANDY!!! What do you mean!?!? It joins the garbage pile of
other made up, fake, non-existent words like concise, brevity and succinct.
Please people, we here at “The Blod” like to deal with REAL words….like
elaborate.
<BR><BR>
May 21 – Today began with heavy rain. More rain! This is horrible, but
still I’m here. I will get something. Thankfully, I have a pavilion to
get under and oh so soon, some field brew to warm my raw & dreary spirits…
An adult MISSISSIPPI KITE chose to warm it though – at 2:10!!!! VERY
CLOSE!!! I had chosen to ride out a particularly strong spell of rain in
the “Early Bird van,” while still watching the skies. It had just let up
when this went down. This Kite stayed in sight for about 15 minutes
feeding low over woods to our NE, before drifting west, very low, looking
very well like he’ll be back. I have always thought this species to be a
“fair weather bird,” but my 2 birds thus far this season have both been in
bad weather. Do I have to readjust my thoughts? I mean, about the Kites,
smart guy. (LOL) Seriously though, need I group this species in with the
likes of inland Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks, Red-necked Grebes, Phalaropes,
and the like, as birds more often seen during stormy weather? No, I think
not, but they are DEFINITELY ok to see in bad weather, and often at low
heights! Blue Grosbeaks were here, as always during this season.
Redstarts and Blackpolls sang from the woods. Sabrena and Sara both
arrived to a Green Heron flying overhead. A Yellow-billed Cuckoo called to
our east. Kathleen arrived in time for… a search for the Chat, singing
infrequently today. Kelley was here to…. hear the Chat. 1 Common
Nighthawk darted over the Red Clay Creek valley.
<BR><BR>
And just how on earth does anyone hear “Yani?” I don’t hear Yani [nor
want to] there or playing any instrument, really… I prefer those hearing
the “Laurels,” anyway! I love those laurels. I can’t even make myself
hear “Yani!” [If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I will seem more
nuts than usual. Google this current cultural, if not physical phenomenon]

<BR><BR>
I received a report of 6 WHIMBRELS down on the mud at Chambers Lake [DD] on
5/21 – an extremely rare event! Also, a report of a MOURNING WARBLER at a
property neighboring Bucktoe for the same day [JS]. It’s been great here
at Bucktoe this spring!
<BR><BR>
My thanks to Clyde, Dave, Diane, Kathleen, Sandy, Arild & Kay for your
comments about “the BLOG” – this blogster appreciates it.
<BR><BR>
1 new species today for this year’s watch, bringing our total to 81:
Belted Kingfisher.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none today.
<BR><BR>
1-Green Heron, 1-Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 1-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 3-Willow
Flycatcher, 2-American Redstarts, 3-Blackpoll Warblers, 1-Yellow-breasted
Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.98; Steps: 14,096; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 81
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Belted
Kingfisher.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight [Wednesday] looks like it could be great
The Kites – winds a bit wrong, but skies are good
As for the shorebirds… light winds and clear for evening flight
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: