Date: 5/21/18 8:44 am
From: Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...>
Subject: Orioles and Milkweed
Hello all,

I am part of a Monarch listserve ( <dplex-l...> ). The post below
from Diane Pruden in Michigan makes an interesting observation of the
relationship of Orioles and last years milkweed stems.

Best,
Jon

"A quick note to suggest that everyone who can plant swamp milkweed should
do so. Not only have we had our first monarch butterflies feed on it when
it blooms, the orioles are crazy about the stems. I leave the dead stems up
until the new growth appears every year, and the orioles in the area are
peeling the dead, long strands of bark for their nesting material. It's
been fascinating watching them go to the base of the stalks, work their
bills up and down until the bark starts to peel away, and then pull up
strands as long as they can."

Join us on Facebook!