Date: 5/20/18 8:57 pm
From: Kent Forward via Groups.Io <kforward=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Purisima Creek Redwoods OSP - 5/20/2018
Good Evening Birders,
I had a great hike at Purisima Creek Redwoods OSP today (about 12 miles all told).  While species counts are usually quite low in the redwoods, it can nevertheless be a rewarding outing.  PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS were abundant along various trails.  Always a thrill is hearing two resonant PILEATED WOODPECKERS booming out across the the vast open spaces between valleys.  WARBLING VIREOs were also heard along various trails.
I always enjoy hearing the Thrushes at Purisima this time of year.  There were quite a few singing HERMIT THRUSHES, in addition to SWAINSON'S THRUSHES.  In a few years now of regularly hiking and birding Purisima Creek Redwoods I've noticed HERMIT THRUSHES are quite vocal and abundant along the upper Purisima Creek Trail, and also other higher elevation trails such as Borden Hatch Mill, and Bald Knob.  SWAINSON'S can also be readily heard, but seem more abundant on the NW upper stretches of North Ridge Trail and Harkins Ridge Trail.  It's as if they've picked their own canyons to do their thing.  It's not too often I'll hear both in the same region!
I had never hiked over to Irish Ridge Trail and Lobitos Creek Trail before, they are super remote (especially when hiking from the bottom parking lot!) and not as well maintained, but was rewarded with singing HERMIT WARBLERS in that area.
Along the bottom of Purisima Creek Trail I heard 4 PACIFIC WRENS on my way in, but all was quite on the return trip later.
There was a female WILD TURKEY in the field along Purisima Creek Road not far below the lower parking lot.  A first for me there.
Bountiful Birding,Kent ForwardEl Granada

Join us on Facebook!