Date: 5/20/18 7:18 pm
From: Doug Gochfeld <fresha2411...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] 5/20- Brooklyn & Queens migration events, Bicknell's Thrush, Summer Tanager, lingerers etc.
This morning I birded Breezy Point, with the dual objective of censusing
shorebirds, and seeing what the migration situation was like, given the
very interesting and seemingly favorable conditions.

There was a great diurnal movement of birds, with almost the full spectrum
of visible migration happening (the notable, though not surprising,
exception being raptors). In addition to these migrants, there were also a
few species that are more typical of our colder months that were still
hanging around.

Some of the sppecies on the move were:
*Brant*: More than 2,000 heading eastbound, and given the large flocks that
were barely visible in the distance off shore, I undoubtedly missed
hundreds.
Other principal movers were* Common Loon, Double-crested Cormorant, Great
Blue Heron, Barn Swallows, *and mixed passerine flocks.

The passerine flight was fascinating, with small groups of songbirds taking
off from the outer dunes, or the trees well off the coast, and starting to
head southwest or west, often very high. Many of them would eventually turn
and head north after they had gained a lot of altitude. Blackpoll Warblers
dominated this flight, but there was a nice mix of other species.

Highlight species were as follows:
*Summer Tanager*
*Hermit Thrush (late!)*
*Great Cormorant*
*Long-tailed Duck*
*Purple Martins (4-5)*
*Eastern Bluebirds - *a pair near the Fisherman's lot that seemed like they
could be nesting, given the time of year and their behavior. This would be
a very notable breeding attempt nowadays.
Fifteen species of warblers were a nice bonus.

The full eBird checklist of this 89 species excursion (my personal high for
a day at Breezy) with photos is here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45875495

In the meantime Sean Sime had found some interesting birds at Coney Island
Creek Park, including an apparent Bicknell's Thrush. Despite the midday
hour and warm sun beating down, I went to the park to follow up, and found
the thrush on site, and doing some whisper songs. I recorded a couple of
the calls (no luck with recording the song), and they can be found in this
eBird checklist:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45875192

Sean's more interesting and comprehensive list from the morning, including
photos and/or audio from the Bicknell's, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,
Yellow-billed Cuckoo and much more (66 spp.) is here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45852906

Good Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.

ARCHIVES: