Date: 5/20/18 11:37 am
From: Michelle Maani <lamoustique...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Safflower seeds?
Yesterday, while shopping for birdseed, I came upon safflower seeds. The package said they were disliked by squirrels. My question is, do other birds actually like them? I think I would miss my regulars if they didn't like the seed. I get song sparrows, downy woodpeckers, black-headed grosbeaks, spotted towhees, chickadees, red-breasted nuthatches, and lesser goldfinches as regular visitors, with other finches as occasional drop-ins. I use shelled sunflower seeds.  I'd like to win the battle of the squirrels, and they have figured out how to get around my squirrel-proof feeders. I used a more mixed no-mess feed last summer, it was a much bigger mess because so many of the birds just toss the seeds they don't like to the ground while they look for the ones they like.
Michelle MaaniVancouver, Washington