Date: 5/19/18 8:12 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (19 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 19, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 0
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 1 1
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 1 1

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (1): Just me again, with 3 days of rain! When will it all end?
They say tomorrow....
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!

Weather:
Overcast w/Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 700-300 ft., Visibility - 6
miles, Temps 56 - 64F, Winds SE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: Turkey Vultures (3).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ “The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is a timely one -
“kite.” Play along with me…how would you define it? Let’s see how close
you are. Of course we know the noun as the species of birds, as well as
the flying toy. The verb is a way of motion to race, leap, sprint, dash,
rush, speed, to streak; the manner of flight often employed by Kites (the
birds) and what they are named for. Interestingly, the toy was named after
the bird, not the other way around. How close were you to the exact
phrasing of the definition? I’ll bet you knew this one! We love words…do
you? Choose the right one, use it in the right way and it can say so much
for you. While certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel
free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
May 19 – A Green Heron greeting me on arrival this stormy day; the third
such day in a row….but this, the most miserable of all. Blue Grosbeaks
were at the pavilion, brightening it up a tad. However, I could barely see
the tops of the trees. It was not good for anything flying over. Nick,
Tom’s [the property owner] brother emailed me from Puerto Rico to say he
was glad I was back on site at Bucktoe. It was nice to chat with him.
He’s a biology professor down there. I hope conditions are improving in
that hurricane-ravished country. Meanwhile, I got my first shorebird
species for this year’s watch – the lowly Killdeer, heard calling in the
fog-enveloped skies above the watch. A Yellow-breasted Chat went thru its
amusing song in the thicket down the hill to our east.
<BR><BR>
With all the rain today, it was also no day for vultures to be soaring
around looking for food. That did not prevent one intrepid vulture from
dropping down to our Eagle/Vulture carrion feeder to “feast’ on the old
remnant bones from last year? Perhaps it was using a rib as a “beak-pick?”
I’m sure with 3 days of rain; there are some hungry vultures hereabouts.
<BR><BR>
With all this rain, one of my readers reported the Octorara Creek had
flooded 7-9 feet and covered the Commons flood plain. As the water started
to receded, it revealed hordes of fish which had become trapped in pools -
consisting mostly of carp and some trout roiling in the diminishing water.
The birds moved in to take advantage- eagles, hawks, vultures, crows,
herons and even an egret. They are still at it today as she wrote me this
afternoon [SB].
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: 1-Killdeer.
<BR><BR>
1-Green Heron, 1-Willow Flycatcher, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (1): Green Frog. Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, White-tailed
Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.59; Steps: 13,113; Floors:
27.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 50; this season: 68
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (5):” Carolina
Chickadee, Mallard, Fish Crow, Pileated Woodpecker, Killdeer.

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks not perfect, but very much better with partly sunny
skies!!
The Kites – Winds are wrong, but there will be thermals.
As for the shorebirds… Might get our first flocks...
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: