Date: 5/19/18 5:05 pm
From: Richard Garland <0000236c4f481b8f-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Red-necked Phalarope - Gatesburg
Thanks Jon for stopping and the alert for these rarities in Centre County.....these are a lifer for me.....a couple of pics
On Saturday, May 19, 2018, 7:36:29 PM EDT, Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...> wrote:

Of the three phalaropes present at the Gatesburg Rd flooded field a bit ago, one is larger and brighter than the others and clearly seems to be a female. One is smaller and drabber and clearly to be a male. One is intermediate in size and color, and I was inclined toward it being a brighter female. Do others agree?
Phalaropes are unique in that sexual coloration/size is reversed from the usual among most bird species. She lays the eggs and then leaves and he raises the young.
Nick
On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...> wrote:

Hello all,
While driving back from Lowe's just a few minutes ago, I had a Red-necked Phalarope in a flooded field on Gatesburg Rd. Its a female in breeding plumage.
Parking is limited so please be safe.
Be well,Jon

Join us on Facebook!