Date: 5/19/18 4:36 pm
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: Re: Red-necked Phalarope - Gatesburg
Of the three phalaropes present at the Gatesburg Rd flooded field a bit
ago, one is larger and brighter than the others and clearly seems to be a
female. One is smaller and drabber and clearly to be a male. One is
intermediate in size and color, and I was inclined toward it being a
brighter female. Do others agree?

Phalaropes are unique in that sexual coloration/size is reversed from the
usual among most bird species. She lays the eggs and then leaves and he
raises the young.

Nick

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> While driving back from Lowe's just a few minutes ago, I had a Red-necked
> Phalarope in a flooded field on Gatesburg Rd. Its a female in breeding
> plumage.
>
> Parking is limited so please be safe.
>
> Be well,
> Jon