Date: 5/17/18 6:10 am
From: Anthony Gonzon <atgonzon...>
Subject: [de-birds] DOS Field Trip - Sunday, May 20th: Delaware Bayshore Shorebirds & Horseshoe Crabs
Witness firsthand why the DelawareBayshore is critical to the shorebirds that stop here to fuel up for the flightto their breeding grounds every spring.

Meet leaders Anthony Gonzon and Karen Bennett at the LittleCreek Post Office off Route 9 at 8 AM. We’ll travel to Pickering Beach to lookfor foraging shorebirds, then head to Ted Harvey Wildlife Area (ConservationAccess Pass required)* to check out the impoundments. From there we will headsouth to the DuPont Nature Center, planning to arrive there around noon wherewe can scan the harbor from the deck and eat lunch. After lunch we will head toSlaughter Beach to look for spawning horseshoe crabs on the rising tide. The tripwill end at Slaughter Beach around 2 PM (We may end early if the weather does not work in our favor). Our target species will be Red Knot,Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, Semipalmated Sandpipers (and at least a dozenother shorebird species), Osprey, Peregrine Falcon, other resident andmigratory birds, and spawning horseshoe crabs.

Participants can expect to walk short distances on hard surface trails, loosesand dune crossings, and bay beaches. There are portable toilets at PickeringBeach and Ted Harvey W.A., and restrooms at the DuPont Nature Center andSlaughter Beach Fire Hall. Bringinsect repellent, sunscreen, a bag lunch, and plenty of drinking water.

*Pleaseremember that these state wildlife areas now require you to have a ConservationAccess Pass for your vehicle. There are no fee boxes at the locations, so ifyou plan to park in the State Wildlife Area lots you must purchase the passahead of time. Information about the pass and how to purchase it may be foundhere: www.dnrec.alpha.delaware.gov/fish-wildlife/conservation-access-pass/

I look forward to seeing you Sunday!

Good birding,

Anthony

Anthony Gonzon