Date: 5/16/18 9:53 pm
From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel27...>
Subject: [wisb] Red Crossbills - Coulee Experimental Forest
I was up early today to do some birding at the Coulee Experimental Forest just east of La Crosse. By far the best bird(s) of the day were six Red Crossbills (one male and five females). Three of them flew down to bathe in a mud puddle that was less than ten feet away. Of course I had no camera with me. Another highlight was seeing a Ruffed Grouse drumming away on a log. I had total of 42 birds this morning, but whiffed on most of the warblers (only six total species).

Kelly Rueckheim, Sparta, Monroe County