Date: 5/16/18 8:16 pm
From: Andrew Bankert <abankert2007...>
Subject: [cobirds] Baird's Sparrows Have Returned to Soapstone Prairie Natural Area (Larimer)
I haven't had time over the past two weeks to check the public access
Baird's Sparrow spot at Soapstone Prairie Natural Area after finishing my
surveys for Bird Conservancy of the Rockies, but in the late morning of May
8th and 15th I did not detect any Baird's Sparrows. Today I did not detect
any around 10:30 AM, but I did hear at least one (I am fairly sure there
were two) Baird's Sparrows singing in an area of grass on the Pronghorn
Trail. From the first parking lot by the entrance station take the
Pronhorn Loop Trail and stay to the right on the southern part of the
loop. After you pass a small shelter (a little over 3 miles from the
parking lot) you will come to an intersection where you can walk along a
two track about a half mile south to the area of taller grass before you
come to a gate. The birds were singing to the east of the fence, but
please to not cross the fence or go through the gate since this area is off
limits to the public to protect nesting birds. Last year, Baird's Sparrows
would perch on the fence and I am expecting this might happen if more come
back. Last year there was also at least one individual north of the
intersection that was closer to the trail.

We have had Baird's Sparrows at an off-limits area in Weld County since at
least May 9th, but these were the first ones detected in a public area this
spring.

Good Birding,
Andy Bankert
Fort Collins