Date: 5/16/18 7:01 pm
From: Sean Williams <seanbirder...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Re: Aberrant Worm-eating Warbler
Hello all,

This morning John Kricher and I investigated the reports of an aberrantly
plumaged Worm-eating Warbler at Wompatuck State Park in Hingham. We were
successful in locating the bird and securing photographs. It was foraging
fairly high in the canopy with a large flock of other warblers, about 100 m
in on the trail just south of gate 8 (so on the west side of the road).

The dark striping on the head is absent, indicating that for one reason or
another, it lacks the ability to insert eumelanin into the head feathers.
This lack of striping highlights the paleness of the head, particularly the
forehead. The upper mandible is paler than normal. Furthermore, the
uppertail coverts are white to pale buff. A most interesting individual!

Photographs of this bird can be seen here- https://ebird.org/view/
checklist/S45753355

Good birding,
Sean Williams